Friday, April 18, 2008

A Life in ID Photos

I decided it was about time to get my Learners driving permit redone because my old one had expired in 2000. Oh the shame! When I was getting it organised I was shocked to look at my old photo that must have been taken when I was 16 and I was bigger then I think I remember being. It is quite hard to tell if I was bigger when I was 16 then I am now because I was cursed with some pretty shocking style. My eyebrows were the size of two moustaches, my hair was slicked back from my face and I wasn't familiar with make up or even moisturiser back then! You have to remember I was from the country...

I got the new photo taken and somehow I seem to have either left my old license at Vic Roads or they took it, which is a shame because I really wanted to have it as a comparison. Luckily for me that is not the only shocking ID photo I have so I have been able to compare my new photo with some other old ones. The photos are quite small, but I think if you click on them they should open in a bigger window.

The first photo is my new Learners permit taken just yesterday. It is not the best photo but not a bad photo, so probably a pretty accurate representation of me now. I am not totally happy with my weight and how I look now, but when you see the next photo you will realise why I am quite pleased with how far I have come.

The second photo is a doozy and there are not many photos of me at this weight. This was me on my first day of my second uni degree at Monash University. I was 22 years old and weighed 126.5 kilos (278.5 lbs) which was only 2 kilos lighter then my all time heaviest weight. It is pretty hard to look at that photo now because that was at a really unhappy time in my life. I am not sure if I would say I was clinically depressed, but if I wasn't, I was pretty close to it. Apart from my weight I was having personal and family difficulties, I had pretty much no friends and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. It was a really sad time.

The third photo was just after I had turned 18 years old and I had recently lost quite a bit of weight. I was really happy because I was about to leave home and go to university and start living an exciting and independent life. Almost 10 years on from that photo, I would love to go back and tell that girl a thing or two...



P.S. Special thanks to computer savvy Marshmallow for converting these files for me!

7 comments:

  1. ID photos are always bad. It's funny though, I look at my license, the photo taken 4.5 years ago, and there's not a lot of difference to my new visa photo, taken in Feb. Look at my passport photo, and my old visa photo though (both taken between license and new visa), and there's a huge difference. I keep meaning to post them... maybe you've inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new you ... I think we all have shocking 'L' photos ... comes with being a teenager!!
    Why did you wait so long to get your license??

    ReplyDelete
  3. ID photos are never the most flattering but I don't find yours especially horrible. I do relate to them bringing back memories for you though. I have a similar experience when I revisit mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great photo. All my id photos looked horrible. My licence photo is from ages ago now, and really bad. And my last uni id photo was horrible as well. Made me look as though I had malicious intent :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny that you should post about this as I just found my old restricted license and it was when I was 23 and pregnant with Ben and I looked so fucken good compared to the chick I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!! While packing up house recently I found my old passport. BLUECH! It feels like a different person, different time, place....


    For a tip to keep in your mind for future reference, try this...

    Always book your licence pictures etc an hour after a hair appointment. You'll always feel a million bucks and generally look it too.

    My sisters laughed at me but hey, I have 5 great licence pictures and they still whinge about theirs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! While packing up house recently I found my old passport. BLUECH! It feels like a different person, different time, place....


    For a tip to keep in your mind for future reference, try this...

    Always book your licence pictures etc an hour after a hair appointment. You'll always feel a million bucks and generally look it too.

    My sisters laughed at me but hey, I have 5 great licence pictures and they still whinge about theirs. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!