Friday, February 04, 2011

Munchies

What do you guys do to combat the late night munchies? I am struggling so badly with them lately and I wondering if it is just me and how do other people handle this?

I normally eat my dinner at 6.30 pm and then go to the gym about 7.30 pm. I obviously eat a pretty light dinner because I know I am about to go and workout and I don't want a big meal in my tummy. Oh god, that reminds me of the time AJ ate a massive Indian takeaway meal before going to his first ever personal training session at the gym. Needless to say he vomited in the bin on the way back to the car. Funniest night ever.

Anyway, what was I saying? Late night munchies. I normally get home from the gym about 9.30 pm, shower, organise my lunch for work, lay out my clothes for the next day, blow dry my hair and go to bed to read or watch TV at about 10.30 pm. I can tell you must be envious of my ultra glamorous life right now...

Once I have finally settled down for the night I realise that I am ravenously hungry. Like I could eat my own arm I am so hungry, but I have a pretty strict 'no snacking' policy. I eat 3 meals of about 400 calories each and try not to snack in between. Last night I ended up eating a muesli bar at about 11.30 pm because I was feeling sick from hunger.

I know the obvious solution would be to just go to sleep, but I am normally so amped up from running around all night that I am still buzzed. Plus, that hour or so at night is normally the one time in my day that I have for myself and can really feel relaxed and I need it to keep my sanity.

I guess the other obvious thing is that I need more fill in my lap band. Late last year I had .4 mls taken out, which is quite a lot, so much so that I can easily eat a freaking steak sandwich. I hate the idea of having more fill in my band because I am back to being the weirdo who goes out for lunch and stresses about getting food stuck or spends half my night in the restaurant bathrooms. I need to make the decision between constant hunger or social awkwardness with food... I know it shouldn't be that hard, but I have never managed to reach the 'sweet spot' where I am satisfied and can still eat a wide variety of foods without getting stuck. I guess I'll keep trying, maybe the next fill will hit that mysterious 'sweet spot'.

14 comments:

  1. My guess is that your just not eating enough.
    I was around your weight a few months ago and I was generally eating about 1400 a day, with the option to eat back my exercise calories of 400-500 calories a day...
    So nett I was about 1400 Minimum and still loosing 500 grams to a kilo every week for a while.

    At your current weight you'd still be burning upwards of 300 calories or so per gym sesssion.

    Give yourself a bit of a break!
    Have a few snacks lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're hungry (which it sounds like you really are!)- then EAT!

    I would choose some yoghurt or some other protein to help with muscle recovery over night.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dip & crackers? I make a tuna/cream cheese dip weekly and leave it in the fridge for nights. I have some carrots or crackers and hunger is over. Good protein fix too :) Easiest recipe ever - 185gm can of Tuna (buy a nice one), 1 tub of Cream Cheese, some lemon juice, mash with a fork or blend it if u can be bothered. Done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will do better if you have a snack when you get home from the gym, you need protein after a workout to help your muscles recover & repair, so that may help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smoothies are great post-workout snacks/meals. My personal favorite is:
    - fat free vanilla yogurt
    - skim milk
    - low fat chocolate milk
    - 1/2 frozen banana
    - 1 Tbsp peanut butter
    Can also throw in some protein powder too.
    It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like everyone else said, you are hungry because you need to eat! Real hunger (as opposed to wanting to eat for the sake it) is a sign your body needs it.


    Have you tried having a healthy snack pre-workout then a proper meal afterwards?

    If you are doing weights at the gym then you need to have protein afterwards to recover and build muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What has been a lifesaver for me, that I seriously have 5 times a week is air popped popcorn. My DH got me an air popper, and I can have a huge bowl and 1 tablespoon of melted Smart Balance Light butter and salt for about 175 calories. It is perfect, I can have it while I am watching TV and it feels like a treat and it is really low calorie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to get approved so I haven't been banded....so take this with a grain of salt. At night when I'm hungry I reach for light popcorn, those mini-sized bags if I want something crunchy. If I know I need protein or something sweet or creamy-- fat free greek yogurt mixed with splenda and cinnamon 120 cals per cup and 20g protein, like a full whole measuring cup! I also try to keep grilled chicken tenders (80 cals) in the fridge for protein snacks. Fruit tends to make me hungrier but that just might be me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. string cheese, popcorn , paint your nails, brush your teeth...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a small snack, a banana or a smoothie before the gym then eat your dinner when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. Ideally eating dinner after gym would be better, but 10pm is a bit late!!! Is getting to the gym earlier an option??? If so - snack before & dinner after. If not, you need something afterwards to help with recovery. Maybe try a protein drink?? You could sip it on the way home/when you get home & see if that helps.

    Luck :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a hard and fast rule about not eating after dinner, but lying awake at night with a grumbling stomach is absolutely no fun, so I know get up and have a few spoonfuls of yogurt, or half a slice of cheese. Something high in protein and/or fat for my stomach to digest instead of complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have a hard and fast rule about not eating after dinner, but lying awake at night with a grumbling stomach is absolutely no fun, so I know get up and have a few spoonfuls of yogurt, or half a slice of cheese. Something high in protein and/or fat for my stomach to digest instead of complaining.

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!