Friday, September 03, 2010

Coming Clean Part II

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time I should tell one of my close girlfriends about getting the lap band. So I realised that now almost all my closest friends know, but I just had one more friend I wanted to tell. I actually wasn't too nervous about telling her because she is quite an open minded person and we both love talking about any topics regarding health, fitness and weight loss. She is thin, but constantly battles the desire to get off 5 kilos, but she has certainly never been overweight.

So we were having dinner and drinks one night after work and I decided to just tell her about the lap band. I was a little apprehensive, but I was pretty sure she'd be cool with it and she was. She was excited and all 'go you' and 'i'm so happy for you' (she's American so she's enthusiastic like that). She was interested and wanted to know all about it and seemed to be really fascinated by the whole process. I did mention that the main reason I hadn't told people was because of the shame I carried about having surgery to control my eating and she couldn't believe I would feel ashamed and saw it as no different than having any other kind of surgery.

It was so wonderful to be open about my surgery and not feel like I constantly have to hide it from a good friend. It's especially great because now I don't have to worry about the way I eat in front of her or if something gets stuck. I am still not going to be announcing the surgery to people at work, extended family or acquaintances, but now almost all my close friends know and while I feel slightly exposed, I am mostly relieved.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you. Glad that she was supportive and understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Such a difference to your last experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course your good friends would support you, that's why they're your friends! I told my eight close girlfriends before surgery. We eat together a lot and the change in my eating habits would be drastic. But aside from my family, I don't plan to tell anyone else. I'm sure I'll get questions about "how are you doing it" but really it's none of their business! Glad you have more support now though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I'm glad she was supportive, as she should be!

    Most of my friends know. My boss knows. The only people who don't know are my inlaws. They're both very overweight and very anxious, fearful ppl so I know the meme around my surgery would be that it's dangerous, I'm gonna die, etc etc etc. As it is now they already think I am anorexic!

    hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got the support you were looking for. We Americans love a reason to be exuberant! Or maybe that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the reaction was positive. I've been pretty selective, telling only my boss, 1 coworker, my parents, my sister, my hubby and oh yeah...everyone in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im relieved for you too. Now you can just relax with your friends, and be your banded self without worrying what or how you're eating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this were a status on Facebook I'd click "Like".

    Fantastic. What a weight off your shoulders. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! Glad your friend was supportive & extra happy you are feeling relieved :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cool - particularly after the last experience. What a great friend she is :)

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!