Monday, November 28, 2011

The Gym: Part 367

source
I cannot stress how boring I find the gym... I have discussed it many times on this blog. I just find it so ridiculous that I spend about 10 hours a day sitting on my arse getting to and from work and being at work. Then I go home and, in the small amount of free time I have, I walk on a treadmill. It also involves a lot of fiddling about packing gym gear, charging my ipod, remembering my water bottle and gym towel, taking money for the locker and then washing gym gear. The whole process irritates me.

That being said, I lost the bulk of my weight going to the gym, so I am well aware of it's many benefits. This year alone I started off going to women only gym and then cancelled my membership. Then I bought this elliptical machine to use at home, which I tossed out a few weeks later because it was a piece of crap. Then I bought an email deal for a $29 gym membership and I went for a few weeks but I didn't like the facilities and it wasn't really in a convenient location.

So why do I have an appointment tonight to sign up at another gym? I am blaming AJ. To be perfectly honest, I would be happy not to go back to the gym ever again, but I am going to support him. A few months back he hurt his back quite badly and he had to take a month off work and have daily physio visits. He has now gained some movement back and his physio has told him he has to join a gym to build his strength up. I feel bad making him go by himself because it is so much more motivating to do these things with someone else. It would really suck for him if he has to go to the gym while I am at home on the couch watching TV.

The situation with his back was quite scary and I will do anything I can to help him get back to normal because it almost killed him not being able to move and being in so much pain. It also nearly killed me having to do all the housework and 'man jobs' around our place! As you can imagine, I did not suffer in silence... Don't feel too sorry for AJ though because the lucky bastard managed to lose 8 kilos while he was sick.

This new gym we are joining is a 5-10 minute walk from my place and is open 24 hours, which suits me because I like working out at odd times. I hate being part of the after-work crush and would much prefer to go on a Sunday night when there are less men sweating all over the machines. AJ even emailed me before and suggested we should go to the gym at midnight on New Years Eve... that may be taking things a little too far...

If anything I should be happy for the motivation because it works well with Operation Bridesmaid Bulge plan and my mission to tone up my flabby arms. Looks like I will be pumping a lot of iron this summer.

Hideous flabby crepe paper arms

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister. I am going to put off joining a new gym until after Chrissy, as they reduce their class timetables over the holidays, and I am more likely to attend classes than just rock up to walk on a treadmill. I have been a member of no less than three gyms in my current town in the last 4 years, and I am hoping that the next one will be the last. I am also bridesmaid next year (March! Eeek!), and would love to lose some of my arms/belly/thighs before then. I better get moving! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!